The Pet Handbook is supported by our readers. If you buy via one of our links, we may earn a referral fee. This helps cover the cost of running our free blog. Read more here. Thanks for your support!
Even though they are one of the smallest dog breeds (even smaller as puppies), Yorkies remain some of the most energetic dogs. This is one reason they are loved by their families and get along well with other equally high-energy dogs. That is not all; Yorkies are protective of their families, loyal, and enjoy quality playtime with adults and young children. For these and their many other attributes, they are very much deserving of quality care and, of course, a healthy, tasty treat.
But with so many puppies treats, how do I decide which is the right one for my Yorkie puppy? You want a treat that not only satisfies or pacifies your puppy but also of good quality (abundant in beneficial nutrients). For one, Yorkies, while energetic and playful, have very delicate digestive systems. They are also prone to oral and dental issues such as tartar accumulation and gingivitis, especially at the puppy stage. Also, they need the right nutrition for their long silky hair to grow well and for their delicate bones/musculoskeletal system to prevent bone fracture and herniated disk.
Finally, they live very long lives, and as such, eye problems like cataracts and progressive retinal atrophy are common as they get further in age. A good quality treat will help lessen the chances of these conditions occurring or at least prevent them from happening too soon.
In this article, we will review some of the best treats for Yorkie puppies and how to select a good quality treat for your pup.
Table of Contents
The Best Treats to Help Spoil Your Yorkie Pup
- Perfectly sized treats that can be given daily.
- Free from artificial colors and flavors.
- A natural source of DHA and Omega 3.
- No artificial preservatives, colors or flavors.
- Perfectly sized for training and is ideal for puppies or adult dogs.
- Made with USA beef as the first ingredient.
- Designed specifically to help relieve sore gums and teething pain.
- Free from any plastic, nylon or rubber.
- Made in the USA without any corn, wheat or soy to be completely edible.
- Only 4 calories per treat.
- Moist, soft and chewy.
- The puppy recipe is formulated for her sensitive tummy.
- Easy to dispense and fill your puppy’s favorite toy.
Please continue reading for more in-depth reviews
Made in the USA from locally-sourced ingredients, the Wellness Soft Puppy Bites is made with natural ingredients and are made into bite-sizes for easy-chewing. The meal boasts pure meat protein and contains fruits and vegetables for your puppy's overall health and wellness. It is excellent for the delicate Yorkie's musculoskeletal health and great for use at playtime and during training sessions.
The Wellness Soft Puppy Bites is also free of preservatives, colors, and other additives common in many commercially-made dogs treats. Finally, the treats come in bite-size pieces that are perfect for use during play and training sessions.
All of the above make these treats perfect for Yorkies under one year.
- Excellent for active dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Made with natural, USA ingredients and completely free of animal by-products, grains like corn, wheat, and soy
- Dairy-free and healthy for delicate breeds
- Perfect for Yorkie puppies 12 months and under
- Contains DHA for cognitive development and Omega fatty acids for healthy coat and skin
- Comes in perfect bite sizes for daily play and training time
- Free of potentially harmful preservatives, coloring, and artificial flavors
Made by a known pet food manufacturer, the Blue Buffalo Blue Bits is formulated with dogs like the Yorkie in mind. It is rich in protein, moist, and in bite sizes, perfect for the Yorkie puppy. It is also packed with DHA from salmon oil and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for cognitive development, healthy fur, and skin.
The best part? It is free of fillers like chicken or poultry by-products, wheat, corn, and soy. It is also free of preservatives, coloring, and flavoring.
- Contains USA-raised beef as a first ingredient and rich in meaty flavor
- High in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for your Yorkie's fur and skin health
- Rich in DHA to support cognitive health
- Free of potentially harmful additives like coloring, artificial humectant, flavoring, and preservatives
- Zero by-products content
- None! So far, the reviews on the treat have been generally positive
Our canines love to gnaw at things to soothe their gums, and the Yorkie is no exception. The N-Bone Puppy Ring Chicken Flavor Dog Treat provides your pup with just that. Its round design is perfect for the teething dog looking to get some comfort from the usually uncomfortable process.
The meal is rich in calcium for healthy bones and teeth and is especially perfect for canines like the Yorkie prone to musculoskeletal issues. It also boasts a rich, savory chicken taste that your puppy will certainly love.
Your pup's young teeth are also protected from damage as the food is not only completely digestible but also pliable enough for him to enjoy chewing. Instead of plastics, rubber, or bones, he can finally chew on something nutritious, safe, and enjoyable.
- Free of grains like wheat, soy, and corn that are often unhealthy for canines long-term.
- Made in the USA and formulated to be digestible as well as edible for delicate dogs like the Yorkie
- The perfect treat for soothing sore gums, teething pains, and irritation
- Enriched with DHA and essential fatty acids for your Yorkie's skin, fur, and overall health and development
- Made into a shape that not only keeps your pup away from household items like furniture, it provides a massaging effect on the gums
- The treat is free of plastic, nylon, or rubber and instead fortified with calcium to strengthen your canines, bone, and teeth.
Another excellent treat for Yorkies, this chewy, tasty treat is designed to be just the right size for training. It is moist, soft, and made with real beef to provide your dog with the right nutrition for muscle growth. Each treat also contains just enough calories for playtime and training sessions.
For generally better health, fur and skin, the treat is also made with peas, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and omega fatty acids from salmon oil and flaxseeds.
- Chewy, soft, and moist texture thanks to its high beef content and zero by-products
- Contains just enough calories for each training session per treat and in the right size for though you may need to break each treat into half for the Yorkie puppy
- Rich in beneficial and easily digested ingredients such as pea, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes
- Completely free of additives like coloring, preservatives, flavoring, and grains like corn, wheat, and soy
- Cheaper than most canine treats in its quality range
- May be too large for your puppy to consume in one go
Another playtime treats favorite, KONG Stuff'N Easy Treat Puppy Recipe, is perfect for playful but delicate breeds like the Yorkie. The ingredients are soothing on their sensitive stomach and rich in nutrients required for healthy fur, skin, bone, and teeth health.
It is also a great treat for filling your dog's toy with when you have to be away for some time.
- Formulated with the delicate canine's stomach in mind
- It is manufactured and packed in the USA with few and identifiable ingredients
- Easy and convenient to keep playtime fun and mess-free
- Can be stuffed into a toy to keep your pup occupied until you return
How to Pick the Best Dog Treats for Your Yorkie Puppy
Yorkie puppies require delicate care, and this includes getting the proper nutrition from their meals and treats. Here, we will look out for some of the factors to consider/things to avoid when selecting a treat for your Yorkie puppy.
Treats With Raw Hide
You should avoid treats or foods containing raw hides at all costs for all dogs, not just the Yorkie. Contrary to popular opinion, the raw hide is a dangerous and potential choking hazard that can cause stomach or intestinal blockage. Not only that, raw hide contains arsenic and formaldehyde that often enter during processing. There are healthier ingredients than raw hides that promote healthier teeth.
You want to avoid treats made in overseas/certain countries. These are sometimes packed with dangerous ingredients/fillers and can cause life-threatening diseases, allergic reactions, and malnutrition to your dog, aside from severely lacking in quality ingredients and nutrients.
Before buying a Yorkie treat, check for the manufacturing country, not just the country in which it was packaged. You want to avoid food made in countries like China that have been repeatedly found to make sub-standard and harmful products.
Even then, you still want to be careful with foods made with USA ingredients. These foods are sometimes laden with fillers, artificial flavoring, coloring, and plenty of preservatives. All of these can cause long-term problems and allergic reactions to your Yorkie, even if only consumed briefly as a treat.
Foods With Humectant
Although not often as discussed as the other additives, it is still an ingredient you want to avoid in Yorkie treats. They are often added to canine treats to make them chewier and softer, and generally be more appealing. But of course, they are not without their adverse effects. Problems like itchy eyes, dull, dry coats, and other allergies can arise from this ingredient's consumption. To identify a humectant, look out for the ingredient propylene glycol; they are often listed in that name.
Most good quality treats are made with ingredients that naturally retain moisture but may sometimes use natural humectants like molasses and vegetable glycerin that are safe for canines.
Best Treats for Yorkie Puppies: Conclusion
Canine treats are everywhere, but very few of them put our Yorkies and other delicate canines' specific health requirements into consideration. In this Yorkie treats review article, we looked at some of the factors to consider when selecting a treat for your Yorkie. Then, we shared our top five Yorkie treats to help you narrow your search. In the number one spot, we have the Wellness Soft Puppy Bites. This food is rich in essentials that your delicate pooch requires to survive and thrive, even with its fragile health.
It is rich in beneficial ingredients, flavorful, and free of preservatives and additives commonly present in many other treats. It is also affordable, and dog owners who bought it for their pooch had only nice things to say about it.
Bought any of the treats reviewed in this article? Let us know how your dog liked it in the comment section below. And if you have any other top-quality treat in mind to recommend, also share with us.
About the Author
Kirsten created The Pet Handbook with the aim of sharing her knowledge about pets, pet food, healthy habits, and more. All of her advice is based on years of her own experience with her pets, and feedback that she has received from grateful readers about her tips. If you want to know more please read the About Me page.