The Pet Handbook is supported by our readers. If you buy via one of our links, we may earn a referral fee. This helps cover the cost of running our free blog. Read more here. Thanks for your support!
When you know that you or your family member has been diagnosed with diabetes, you would first invest in a good glucometer. This will help you check blood sugar levels regularly and monitor your health correctly so that the problem doesn't assume alarming proportions. So, why should the case be any different for your cats?
Suppose your cat has been diagnosed with feline diabetes. In that case, you should invest in a proper cat glucometer right away, as this will help you understand the insulin dosage and further treatment procedures for your feline pet. Today, the pet market is buzzing with many products manufactured exclusively for cats and dogs. So, you shouldn't be surprised if you see a bevy of glucometer for cats when you set out shopping for one.
Choosing one from the sea of options at your disposal can get challenging. However, after reading this, we hope your decision-making process has become easier than before. We have listed down the top 5 glucometers for cats in the following sections, and explained the features of each of these glucometers in detail. You can go through them and choose the one that suits your requirements the best.
The Top Glucometers for Cats
• Test results in 5 seconds
• 6 depth adjustments
• Only requires small sample
• Starter kit has everything needed
• Very accurate
• Only requires small sample
• Stores up to 1000 test results
• Offers 5 different comfort settings
• 10 second test results
• Vet approved
• Very affordable
Please continue reading for more in-depth reviews
If your feline has been diagnosed with diabetes, you need a glucose monitoring kit from a reputed brand to check its sugar levels regularly. Today, Advocate PetTest is one of the most trusted brands in the industry of pet supplies and products. Their glucometer is a complete kit, and it comes with all the necessary accessories, a detailed instruction manual, and unmatched accuracy.
This glucometer from Advocate PetTest is your go-to solution when it comes to choosing the best glucometer for your cats, thanks to the following remarkable features:
- Comes with a glucometer, 25 foil-wrapped test strips or lancets, a lancing device, a control solution, a couple of AAA batteries, a detailed manual, a quick reference guide, and a case for carrying all these
- Needs very little blood (0.3mcl) to get your cat’s blood sugar level within 5 seconds, as the machine is exclusively calibrated for felines
- Comes with 6 depth adjustments that take care of the instrument's precision; you can lock the lancet trigger when not in use by a safety switch.
- Can be upgraded from this Red Dot System to a Painless System at a future point in time without any hassles.
- Glucose test strips come in easy to open foils to lock the humidity, ensuring accuracy and precision.
- You can easily control lancet injection with one hand
- You can switch it between cats and dogs with the help of a single switch
- It comes as a complete package, giving you total value for money
- It doesn't need any coding before every use
- Some got E-5 (error reports) even after using new strips and applying a decent amount of blood on the strip.
With the help of the detailed instruction manual, you can use this glucometer from PetTest to get accurate readings for your diabetic pet. It is easy to use, even for first-timers.
AlphaTRAK is a highly popular and reliable brand for buying glucose monitoring kits. It is easy to use and provides accurate readings within a few seconds.
This blood glucose monitoring system from AlphaTRAK2 contains everything you need to check the blood sugar levels of your cat in an instant. Here are some excellent features of this system:
- It comes with 30 lancets, a lancing device, glucometer, 50 test strips, a detailed manual, a quick reference guide, a control solution, a small manual to note the readings, and a carrying case to fit all of these accessories
- Requires a tiny blood sample to give accurate readings; hence, your cat feels comfortable with this kit
- It comes with special calibration for dogs and cats
- Works wonderfully with adult cats
- Excellent support from the manufacturer in case of issues or complaints
- Easy to use, as everything is clearly mentioned in the manual
- No discomfort for pets
- Quite steeply-priced compared to other cat glucometers
- New test strips work correctly only when species codes are keyed into the device
Though the AlphaTRAK2 glucometer is one of the best-selling brands today, many people feel that the device and test strips are pretty costly. If you can afford it, we see no reason why you shouldn't go for this one.
It is now time to say goodbye to your costly vet bills as you get introduced to the pet glucose monitoring kit from Cera. This simple but accurate glucometer helps you keep track of your cat's blood sugar levels at home, reducing stress on yourself and your cat.
Some of the features that make this kit a highly recommended product by pet owners are:
- The device can store up to 1000 readings, making it easy for you to monitor the glucose levels of your cat
- The lancing device comes with 5 comfort settings
- The starter pack comes with 25 lancets, 25 test strips, 2 calibration code keys (for dogs and cats), batteries, a lancing device, and a carrying case
- Accuracy level at more than 98.5%
- Very compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry along wherever you go
- Great value for money
- Results displayed in interchangeable units of mmol/L or mg/dL
- In the recent past, many customers have been complaining about faulty readings
- Customer service is not very supportive
While this kit received a lot of appreciation during its launch, the situation is not so good for it in the last couple of years. Many units have started to report inaccurate & faulty readings, leading to a lot of stress for the pets and pet owners. Hence, you can go for other glucometers that provide accurate results and value for money.
If you are looking for a veterinarian-approved glucometer for your cats, this one from Control HQ is a good choice for you. This is a complete package and contains all the accessories you need for monitoring the blood glucose level of your pets.
Why do veterinarians trust the Control HQ Glucose Monitoring Kit? The features below will give you the answer to this question:
- Test strips made from premium GDH enzyme to provide accurate readings
- It comes with a 2-code chip (1 calibrated for dogs and the other for cats)
- Kit contains a glucometer, 50 test strips, 2-code chips, 50 lancets, a lancing device, a control solution, a book to log the readings, a detailed manual, a quick reference guide, and a carrying case
- A tiny blood sample provides accurate readings, similar to the readings you would get in a lab
- Blood extraction is painless, making the kit suitable even for susceptible cats
- Quick and reliable results within seconds
- No stress on pets, thereby giving you excellent value for your money
- Some believe it is not great for cats with very high blood sugar levels, as the kit shows only up to a maximum of 250mg glucose level
- Test strips are costly
While the Control HQ Glucose Monitoring Kit is accurate and easy to use, some feel that it might not give readings properly if your cat is highly diabetic. So, you should consult your veterinarian about this before investing in this kit.
VetMate is a trusted brand in the field of pet supplies and products. Its glucose monitoring kit is calibrated for cats and dogs and comes with all accessories that you need to check your pet's blood sugar levels at home instantly and accurately.
Though Vetmate may not be as popular as some of the other brands mentioned here, it helps to accurately monitor your pet's blood sugar levels with the help of the following features:
- It comes with a glucometer, 10 testing strips, 10 lancets, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, a logbook, a control solution, an instruction manual, and a quick reference guide
- A tiny blood sample is enough to provide accurate readings within 5 seconds
- Auto-code facility and strip ejection button make your job hassle-free
- Quite affordable when compared to other pet glucometers
- Works well, especially with big and cooperative pets
- Strips are quite expensive
- Starter kit comes only with 10 strips and 10 lancets, whereas other brands provide 25 or even 50 strips in their kits
- Some felt lancet doesn't draw enough blood, even after choosing the highest thickness settings
Though the blood glucometer kit from Vetmate is a good product, you may want to try other brands because it comes only with 10 test strips and 10 lancets in its starter kit. We all know that the test strips can be pretty expensive; hence, it is only natural that you go for the one that provides more test strips and lancets in its starter kit.