The Pet Handbook is supported by our readers. If you buy via one of our links, we may earn a referral fee. This helps cover the cost of running our free blog. Read more here. Thanks for your support!
One of the many benefits of having a cat as a pet is that they are a pretty independent animal which makes them largely maintenance-free. It goes about doing its business in the litter box without making it a show, but the downside to this is the litter box's odor can be pretty bad. This can usually be dealt with by getting the right kind of litter, which also traps the odor and keeps the stink in control, but there might be situations when your cat's poop simply starts to smell beyond bearable and very unusual.
Reasons Why Your Cat’s Poop May Smell
Cat Poop is stinky, this is a known fact, but there might be multiple reasons on what might be causing the foul-smelling cat poop.
Most of the cat food brands that mass produce food for low cost contain a lot of fillers and artificial flavorings and colorings. Only used to increase the volume and taste of the food are low-quality ingredients that result in bad smelling feces when digested.
When a cat eats bacteria-filled food, especially bacteria like salmonella or E.coli, it enters the colon, which results in inflammation, diarrhea, and indigestion. This then leads to smelly stools.
In cases where a kitten eats contaminated rodents or any contaminated uncooked meat, it infects the intestines by the formation of parasites. This is usually observed in cats under one year. It is contagious in nature, which can also be transmitted if pets share the same litter box or drink the same water.
Cats are usually born with delicate stomachs, and some also have digestive disorders that lead to pungent poop. This usually happens when there is a lack of essential digestive enzymes, leading to malabsorption and bowel issues.
When a cat is on any kind of medication, the vitamin and mineral supplements result in smelly stools.
Whatever the reason be, It is always advisable to feed your furry pet a natural diet that is free of fillers and artificial agents that lead to stinking poop and affect the overall well-being of your loved one. We have curated a list of cat food options to choose from that are both natural and easy to digest, ensuring the pet's gut health is functioning correctly, and the poop is not unbearably stinky.
The Best Cat Food to Reduce Smelly Poop
- Provides 100% balanced nutrition.
- Recommended by vets.
- Contains no fillers or preservatives.
- Real US farm raised chicken as #1 ingredient.
- Formulated with probiotics, prebiotics and antioxidants.
- Made with protein from fish.
- Includes natural omega fatty acids.
- Free of artificial colors or preservatives.
- Made without any carrageenan.
- Has a high moisture content to help with hydration.
Please continue reading for more in-depth reviews
Your furry mate will feel like they are on a tropical vacation after indulging in Tiki Cat's Luau Succulent Chicken in Chicken Consomme Grain-Free Wet Cat Food. This is a low-carb, high-protein meal option for your kitty companion. Shredded chicken in chicken consomme makes it a savory and succulent meal for your cat.
What we liked
- Carrageenans or naturally occurring sulfated polysaccharides, usually extracted from red edible seaweeds, are commonly found in cat food, which is harmful to the pet in the longer run. Tiki Cat's cat is crafted without the involvement of any carrageenans.
- Proteins sourced from Genetically Modified Organisms or GMOs are going to alter the consumer's DNA for the worse. These ingredients are comparatively cheaper hence used in pet foods, but Tiki's formulations are made using non-GMO ingredients.
- The consistency of the meal is that of a clear soup, also known as a consomme. This provides better consumption and digestion.
- Kibble is usually dry in nature which leaves the pet dehydrated. In contrast, meals with high moisture content like the one in Tiki Cat Luau Succulent Chicken in Chicken Consomme help to maintain proper hydration levels in the pet.
- Tender chicken shredded is mixed to chicken consomme, shreds of chicken being the meal's main ingredient.
Instinct Original Grain-Free Pate Real Chicken Recipe Wet Canned Cat Food, the natural food recipe, is an absolute favorite to your feline friends. This meal is high in animal protein, has zero grains, and has fruits and vegetables that are churned to a pate texture which keeps the rawness intact.
What we liked
- Instant Original's wet cat food composition is distributed with 95% of chicken, turkey, and chicken liver; 5% vegetables, fruits, and superfoods; and 0% grains.
- Free-range chickens are used as the main ingredient in the recipe that helps aid strength and builds lean muscle.
- This cat meal is entirely free of grains, potatoes, corn, wheat, soy, animal by-products, artificial colorings, and preservatives.
- Pate is a great natural source of omega fatty acids, which help promote healthy skin and coat.
- Although all the ingredients sourced are the finest from around the world, the meal is prepared in the USA.
You get to nourish your feline with a balanced diet provided by Taste of the Wild Canyon River Grain-Free Dry Cat Food. Made out of high-quality fish like trout and smoked salmon combined with the right amount of vegetables and zero grains. This ingredient mix makes the meal easily digestible and ensures it is packed with antioxidants for healthy digestion.
What we liked
- The source of protein used in Wild Canyon's cat food is fish, which is excellent for kittens with food sensitivities. It also helps grow bones, joints, and an overall healthy body.
- Along with essential vitamins and minerals, fats like omega fatty acids help build a shiny, healthy coat.
- For tender kitten bellies to easily digest their meal, pre and probiotics along with antioxidants are included in the formulation. This also helps boost the immune system.
- No fillers such as grains or corn and wheat or artificial flavorings and colorings are added to the recipe.
Made out of simple, natural ingredients, this meal is a combination of wholesome brown rice, chicken, vegetables, and essential nutrients and minerals.
The main reasons we like this product are:
- The main ingredient in Rachael Ray's Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe is farm-raised chicken. This high-quality protein source helps to maintain healthy organs and muscles.
- All the ingredients that go into making this meal are high-quality ingredients, and no fillers such as ground corn, wheat, soy, poultry by-products are used. This cat food is 100% natural without any artificial flavors or preservatives. You can feed your loved one without fear.
- Yeast and Omega 6 fatty acids, where the former is a natural source of Vitamin B, Biotin, Zinc and Protein good to aid healthy coat and reduce shedding, whereas the latter found abundant in the chicken meal ensures soft, shiny and radiant coat.
- For easy digestion, the fiber source opted in this meal is beet pulp which also is prebiotic. For better heart functioning and eyesight, essential amino acids like taurine are included.
First on the list is the Purina One Tender Selects Blend with Real Salmon Dry Cat Food. This premium cat food is made with real salmon as the main ingredient.
The main reasons we love this food are:
- Cats are picky eaters, but this vet recommended mixture comes in crunchy bites and tender morsels to provide variety.
- This food provides balanced nutrition with the right blend of vitamins, minerals, and taurine for overall well-being and essential omegas for shiny coats and fur.
- The key ingredient in Purina's cat food is high-quality salmon, which is an excellent source of lean protein to help grow muscles and retain energy.
- This uniquely shaped kibble is both fun to eat and also to keep your cat's oral health intact. The crunchy bits of kibble help scrub tartar, which supports healthy and clean teeth.
- Purina's cat food is made at Purina-owned facilities in the USA, and all their recipes are filler-free. They only include ingredients that serve a specific purpose.
Top Cat Food for Better Smelling Poop: Conclusion
A cat's poop is a direct reflection of its diet, and the quality of the diet is of great significance. Especially in cases where you are trying to get rid of the foul pungency of your cat's stools, diet is of utmost importance. The higher the quality of the food you feed your cat, the easier it is on the pet's stomach. When your pet has a healthy gut leading to healthy digestion, you will no longer have to worry about stinky poop.
The best kind of foods to be fed to a cat in case of excessively smelly poop should include a high-quality animal protein source, loaded with moisture to make sure the pet is hydrated enough, and essential fibers to quickly digest the food. If you are not able to curate a recipe similar to that at home or unable to find one in the market, try one of the five cat food suggestions above. These are some of the best cat foods around to aid in reducing smelly poop.
Hopefully, this article should help your feline find its ideal kind of food, but do not forget to follow a proper transition process while introducing new food to your fur buddy.